I never really thought about how to make my home office more convenient even though I have worked from home for several years. However, I recently purchased a nice three-level cart and have found it extraordinarily useful. Especially, for writing projects, as I have my books and other reference materials scattered throughout my house in multiple bookcases and even in the garage on shelves.
Advantages of a project cart
Among the advantages of a project cart that I have found are:
- ability to declutter my office
- put my research materials and notes into organized buckets
- ability to swap out my reference materials according to my work priorities for the day
- the ability to hide the cart and what the contents of it are
Qualities of a good home office cart
here are some things I would recommend you consider before buying your office cart, which may make the cart more valuable to you:
- first, the cart should be sturdy, you really don’t want a rickety cart, if you’re going to be rolling around your house and loading it up with heavy books or other project materials according to your interests.
- the cart should be small enough to tuck away someplace when you wanted out of sight in case you have visitors or company or something. For example, when my cart is not in use, I roll the cart into a nice little closet in the hall out of the way.
- Consider carefully the wheels; my house has tile throughout, so, small wheels are fine. However, if you have carpeting or uneven edges that you must cross with the cart you may want to consider larger and wider wheels.
- Of course, there are the aesthetics, do you care if the cart has a rustic look, or a modern office look, or even what color it is.